Friday, August 26, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Haupia Pie Inspired by Ted's Bakery

Elise with the original from Ted's Bakery (via Foodland supermarket).

Before I left for Hawaii a couple of weeks ago, I made sure I had all my important papers together. Plane tickets, check. Hotel reservation, check. List of the best places to eat on Oahu, cut out of a Sunset magazine article by my friend Trish, check and double check.

One of the must-try items on that list was the chocolate haupia pie from Ted's Bakery. We didn't make it to Ted's but did happen to see it prepackaged for sale in the grocery store, so I bought a piece to try. It was so good I knew I had to try recreating it at home.

For those who don't know, haupia is a firm coconut pudding. You make it in a pan and then cut it into squares and eat it with your fingers. It's a popular thing to have at luaus; the pie is a super easy and fun treat that would be great at a casual potluck or dinner party.


Janet's Chocolate Haupia Pie
Make a one-crust recipe of your favorite pie crust, and pre-bake it. Pour the hot haupia into it and chill until set. Add your favorite chocolate pudding (I must confess to using a box of instant Jello chocolate pudding) and pour on top of haupia, again chilling until set.

Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut.


Cut one piece for the photo, then take the rest to your parents to ensure your status as favored child.

Haupia (source)

2 cups coconut milk
1-1/4 cups water
2/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch

Combine the coconut milk and water. Stir until smooth. Add the sugar and cornstarch. Cook over low heat until thickened and shiny. If the haupia is grainy, you need to keep cooking the mixture because the fat in the coconut milk has not yet melted.

If you have any chocolate pudding left over, be sure to smear some on your face to resemble a goatee and mustache.



12 comments:

  1. That looks so good! Coconut cream pie and chocolate cream pie combined?? I think I'm going to have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drooling here ! It not only sounds divine, it looks delicious.

    Love the little gentleman with his chocolate mustache and goatee. He looks very Continental. Oui oui monsieur ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing and I'm going to have to try this. Your models are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine the taste of it! Could you please send some over :)))) to help my imagination in a way?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better make that at our next get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. medoug, you're the dessert-bringer and i just gave you the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Janet! That pie looks dreamy. And I can't believe how big your boy is!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ALL things chocolate! And the pudding mustache is just TOO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious. I must try it....as soon as I'm off that darn weight watcher diet. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pie looks amazing Janet. I hope you had a lovely trip too. Lucky you.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete