Monday, March 7, 2011

Be Green When You Clean




On my continuing quest to reduce the amount of chemicals that enter my family's home and bodies, I embarked on an Internet hunt for a good homemade spray cleaner recipe. The one I settled on was this one, by Sophie Uliano from her book, Gorgeously Green: 8 Simple Steps to an Earth-Friendly Life.

It works great, and smells good too. You'll later come home to an "I cleaned" smell, which feels nearly as good as seeing vacuum lines on your carpet.

I'm considering giving spray bottles of this stuff to neighbors with jingle bells around it instead of cookies this Christmas.

Gorgeously Green All-Purpose Spray

32-oz. plastics spray bottle
2 cups water
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon pure castile soap (I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint, found in my local natural foods grocery store)
3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
20 drops tea tree oil
20 drops lavender or lemongrass essential oil

Mix together all ingredients in your spray bottle. Add 10 drops of citronella oil as an insect repellent when ants may be a problem.

Spray can be used on acrylic, ceramic tile, wood, marble, and granite.




No comments:

Post a Comment